Learning how to make Affogato is a game-changer. It’s often said that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. That’s certainly the case here if you’re a lover of coffee and desserts. This is the kind of treat you can bring out at the end of dinner to impress that special someone.
Other than its deliciousness, one of the best things about Affogato is its simplicity. In Italian, Affogato means ‘drowned’. The dessert gets this name because it is simply vanilla ice cream drowned in espresso.
Sounds easy, right? It really is.
How to Make Affogato
It only takes a couple of minutes to make Affogato so you’ll be able to serve it fresh to your friends and family. Or, you know, to yourself if you’ve earned it.
The ingredients list below provides quantities for one serving of Affogato.
What You’ll Need
- Double shot of fresh espresso
- 1 large scoop of vanilla ice cream or gelato
- Dessert glass
- Brew espresso. Pull a double shot of espresso using the best coffee beans you have available. If you don’t own an espresso machine, you can use lower-cost brewing methods.
- Add ice cream. Place a large scoop of vanilla ice cream or gelato into a dessert glass. The better the ice cream, the better the flavour.
- Enjoy. That’s all there is to it. It’s the most simple recipe but produces a truly impressive dessert.
Of course, you can also experiment with alterations to the recipe but the original really is a treat. For example, you could add cookie crumbs to the top of the dessert, experiment with different ice cream flavours, or add a shot of Amaretto to the glass.
Whatever way you decide to make your Affogato, enjoy. You’ve earned it!